In this article, we will discuss the issues when you try to start the SQL Server Agent. We will also discuss the various reasons and possibilities behind the failure of the SQL Server Agent. We will try to troubleshoot the problem with the help of various solutions. Let us try to fix the error, SQL Server Agent won’t start.
SQL Server Agent not starting
Following are the point that you can ensure if the SQL Server Agent on your system is not working:
- If you are using the SQL Server Express Edition, SQL Server Agent will not start. SQL Server Agent is a service that we use to schedule jobs in the SQL Server database.
You might have faced an error like the following image while starting the SQL Server Agent Service from the SQL Server Configuration Manager:
Also, you might have faced the following error while starting the SQL Server Agent Service from the Windows Services:
To open windows service, type Start -> Run and then type services.msc
It is a premium service that is provided in other editions only such as SQL Server Developer Edition or SQL Service Enterprise Edition. So, it will not work in the SQL Server Express Edition. However, if you are facing this issue in other SQL Server editions you can follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:
- Another reason could be the corrupted installation or failed installation of the SQL Server. You can try to repair the installation or you can reinstall the SQL Server. You can follow the guide to Repair a failed SQL Server Installation.
- If you have changed the password that you use to login into the database, you have to modify the properties of the SQL Server Agent service and update the password there also.
- Ensure that your Windows Firewall is not blocking it and if it is blocking, add an exception to the firewall to run the SQL Server Agent service.
To know which sql server version, you are using run the below command.
If you are using the sql server express edition, then it will return either “Express” or “Express Edition with Advanced Services” or “Express Edition *”.
Read SQL Server move database files
SQL Server Agent won’t start automatically
If you want that the SQL Server Agent should start automatically, you have to change its properties in the Windows Services. It is a possibility that the SQL Server Agent is not set to start automatically.
In this section, we will learn how we can change the SQL Server Agent properties to be automatically started.
- Press Windows Key+R to open the Run utility. Type services.msc to open the Windows Services.
- Navigate to the SQL Server Agent service and right-click on it and click Properties.
- Select Automatic in the Startup type option. Click Apply and then OK.
- Now next time you restart your computer, the SQL Server Agent should start automatically.
SQL Server Agent not starting in sql server 2019 express
SQL Server agent is not supported in sql server 2019 express edition. So to fix, sql server agent not starting in sql server 2019 express, you need to take a licensed version.
SQL Server Agent started and then stopped
Let us see, how to fix sql server agent started and then stopped error.
You can follow the below steps to fix the error in SQL Server edition not in the express edition.
Open SQL Server Configuration Manager, right-click on SQL Server Agent in SQL Server services not.
Then Change the Built-in account to the Local System. Then click on Apply and OK.
SQL Server agent not showing
SQL Server agent not showing? If sql server agent not showing in sql server management studio, then it might because of the below reasons:
- Make sure the SQL Server should not be the express edition.
- The login account that you have used to connect to the sql server management studio should have SysAdmin role in the sql server. This you can check by running the below script.
If it returns 0 then the user is not part of a SysAdmin.
You may like the following SQL Server tutorials:
- SQL Server drop table if exists
- MySQL vs SQL Server
- SQL Server convert integer to string
- How to execute function in SQL with parameters
- SQL Server Replace Function
This is how to fix sql server agent not starting automatically error.
I am Bijay having more than 15 years of experience in the Software Industry. During this time, I have worked on MariaDB and used it in a lot of projects. Most of our readers are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Want to learn MariaDB? Check out all the articles and tutorials that I wrote on MariaDB. Also, I am a Microsoft MVP.