In this sql server tutorial, we will discuss how to fix error, the remote procedure call failed sql server configuration manager.
the remote procedure call failed sql server configuration manager
A few days back I got an error while using SQL Server Configuration Manager to list the services. The error states “The remote procedure call failed” and due to this I was unable to see the running services. The complete error message is shown in the image below.
Remote procedure call failed
After trying multiple solutions from the internet, I came across some common solutions to overcome this error. Now, in this SQL Server tutorial, we will discuss how to resolve “The remote procedure call failed” error with multiple solutions.
Let’s first undergo some of the common reasons due to why this error may occur.
- Running multiple versions: This error can occur when we are running multiple SQL Server versions in our system.
- SQL Server Services not running: The second main cause behind this error can be when the required SQL Server services are not running.
- Managed Object Format (MOF): The third reason behind this error could be when the .mof files are not installed or registered properly.
Fix-1: Use the latest version of SQL Server Configuration Manager
Now, if we have installed multiple SQL Server versions in our system and we are trying to use the older SQL Server Configuration Manager. Then this error may occur at your side.
- To solve this issue, simply navigate to the following path “C:\Windows\SysWOW64“. And in the “SysWOW64” directory, search for “SQLServerManager“.
- Now, if there are multiple versions of SQL Server Configuration Manager then, run the latest version out of them.
Fix-2: Start the required SQL Server Services
As discussed in the second reason, the SQL Server Services could also be the reason behind the error. Now, the question is how to check for services without Configuration Manager.
- First, search and open the “Services” from the Windows search bar.
- Next, look for SQL Server Services from the list of services.
- Now, check the state of SQL Server (Instance Name), SQL Server Browser, and SQL Server Agent services.
- To start the services, right-click the service and click on “Properties” and change the startup type from Disabled to Automatic.
Fix-3: Re-register the *.mof files
As discussed above, the third reason behind this error can be when the *.mof files are not installed properly. The solution to overcome this issue can be by re-registering the *.mof files.
- For this, first, run the command prompt as administrator and execute the following given command
mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
- And after executing the above command, we will get the following success messages.
Note: If you are using SQL Server 2008 R2 then, you may need to update your service pack to overcome this error.
By following all the given solutions, we can resolve the error and start using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
So, in this tutorial, we have learned how to resolve “The remote procedure call failed” error in SQL Server Configuration Manager. In this, we have discussed some of the main reasons behind this error and also the possible solutions for them.
You may also like to read some of our tutorials on SQL Server.
- Full-text search in SQL Server
- How to get list of users in SQL Server
- Loop in SQL Server stored procedure
- What is a stored procedure in sql server
- Could not find stored procedure in SQL Server
- How to execute stored procedure in SQL Server
- SQL Server check user permissions on table
- SQL Server function return table
- View in SQL Server
- Conversion failed when converting date and/or time SQL Server
I hope this article will help to fix the below error:
- the remote procedure call failed sql server
- the remote procedure call failed and did not execute
- the remote procedure call failed sql server configuration manager
- the remote procedure call failed and did not execute 1727
- the remote procedure call failed sql server agent
- the remote procedure call failed windows 10 sql server configuration manager
- sql server services the remote procedure call failed 0x80076be
- the remote procedure call failed sql server 2012
- the remote procedure call failed sql server 2019
I am Bijay having more than 15 years of experience in the Software Industry. During this time, I have worked on MariaDB and used it in a lot of projects. Most of our readers are from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Want to learn MariaDB? Check out all the articles and tutorials that I wrote on MariaDB. Also, I am a Microsoft MVP.